Contiamo is a Berlin-based, fast-growing B2B tech company with the vision to help enterprises make better decisions – from C-level strategy to micro-decisions at the frontline. We’ve been named Germany’s second fastest growing tech company last year and want to continue growing internationally this year.
The product: A sophisticated query engine
We are building a sophisticated OLAP/SQL query engine for advanced analytics, accessing data from many different data sources (RDBMS's, Hive, Impala, Druid, Elasticsearch and others). The query engine is written in Scala and builds on Apache Calcite. We are planning to open-source it during the course of this year with the goal of making it an Apache project eventually.
Scala, Java, Apache Calcite, Apache Spark
The project involves working with many interesting concepts related to data processing and querying such as query parsing and validation, relational algebra, optimisation of logical and physical plans and adapters to different database and execution engines. Your work will also involve participation in the open-source community and contributing to Calcite and other open-source libraries we use.
Being fluent in Java and ideally Scala is a must.
We highly appreciate experience in:
- Open source projects, especially those by the Apache foundation
- SQL & OLAP-type query planning & optimisation
- Relational algebra as a foundation for relational databases
- Database sql dialects
- Database adapters (both sql & no-sql)
- We value people with a fresh mind, ambition to do things differently and willingness to experiment. Intellectual curiosity and ability to learn fast matter more to us than years of experience.
- We don't see people as "resources" and genuinely care for each other. We also understand that there's more than fancy perks and cool events to people's satisfaction and engagement. We continuously work towards an environment providing a lot of autonomy, transparency and development opportunities and rely on everybody's feedback to hold us accountable for maintaining our high standards.
- We believe the ability to give and get constructive feedback and express divergent ideas is crucial to make innovation come to life. We have a very open discussion culture and prefer the evaluation of ideas based on merit over top-down decision making.
- We have a growth mindset, a strong bias for action and an inherent urge to challenge the status quo. We set the bar high and are ready to go far to make an impact.
- We believe that everybody should be able to find meaning in their work. We match assignments based on both ability and individual interests and discuss your progress and individual needs every three months.
What else do we offer?
- A great team of ambitious and fun loving people.
- A cozy office in the heart of Berlin Mitte close to Hackescher Markt with all the equipment you need for your job, a well stocked kitchen and a weekly team lunch.
- A paid public transportation pass.
- The opportunity to work flexible hours and from home, if needed. You can't work full-time? We will find a solution!
- Educational budget: We want our people to learn and develop so we will invest into you and your education.
We respect our applicants and their time – you can expect to hear from us within 48 hours.